The once-a-decade redistricting process is underway in Washington State. Every 10 years, after the federal census, we redraw the boundaries of our congressional and legislative electoral districts to ensure that each district represents an equal number of residents.
To ensure that our congressional and legislative district maps take into account as many local ideas as possible, the Washington State Redistricting Commission needs to hear from you. We need you to identify communities that need a greater voice and to say how to make your district competitive and representative.
Testify about Legislative and Congressional District maps when you are asked to turn on your sound and video. Don’t wait, register for public comment by clicking on the date below.
CD 8 & 10 – July 31, 2021, 1:00-3:00pm
Testifying doesn’t take long. Follow these simple steps:
- Register and join the meeting with the link sent to you.
- Prepare to talk on Zoom for 2 minutes.
- Introduce yourself and which congressional and legislative districts you live in.
- Say what you like or dislike about your districts.
- Share a personal story about why this is important to you.
- End by repeating, in one sentence, how you’d like the commissioners to draw the maps.
Detailed instructions for testifying in virtual public meetings are provided and the League of Women Voters has developed online video training explaining the redistricting process, writing effective testimony, and testifying. Free interpreter and translation services are available.