There is a long list of special purpose districts that oversee everything from our emergency services to our utilities, schools and more. These Districts are overseen by elected boards and offices often go without anyone filing to run and yet are a great place to gain greater experience in public service as well as making a difference. Most of these special districts hold elections in odd years like 2021!
Currently in Kittitas County, there will be elections in November for:
- 3 – 4 city council seats on each of the city councils in Cle Elum, South Cle Elum, Roslyn, Kittitas, and Ellensburg,
- Two seats on Hospital District 1, one seat on Hospital District 2
- At least one seat on every Fire District
- 2 – 3 seats on each school Board, including some vacant seats
- One seat on Snoqualmie Pass Utility District
- One seat on each of the six Water Districts
- 3 seats on the Roslyn Parks & Recreation District (this entire Board was appointed)
- One seat on the Thorp Cemetary District
Terms vary in length from 2 to 6 years, depending on the office. Most positions are unpaid. If you are interested in making a local difference and running for office, filing as a candidate starts today and ends May 21st! Locate candidate filing information on the auditor’s website here.
Check out what’s up for election this November at Kittitas Auditor website.